full throttle bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full throttle bad?

Why is it common to go full throttle on outboards but on cars it seems like it's rarely done. Are outboards designed any different to tollerate constant abuse? (going full throttle),
    I have a 25hp outboard and I don't think twice about going full throttle when I have to but when I drive my car it's seems very different like it will break prematurely if I go full rpms all the time.

just my opinion, but I believe any larger displacement outboard motor or any motor or engine will last longer without constant wide open throttle. my 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke premix will gladly run at 5500RPM's, but why do it, because my boat/motor's overall best efficiency in MPG qand GPH is around 3500RPM's on plane. Check the Yamaha Outboard Motor
    Performance Bulletins. Of course, it's understood that the smaller the motor, the more likely it will be run at full throttle a lot. I have an older 3HP air cooled 2 stroke and I do run it wide open quite a bit, but I have to break it down fairly often to remove carbon from the piston/rings and cylinder to keep it running. I would recommend running the Yamaha Ringfree in your motor to help prevent carbon. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
    X