Owners Manual vs. Service Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners Manual vs. Service Manual

I recently purchased a boat with a 2005 200 HPDI but a Yamaha Owners Manual didn't come with it. On the Yamaha website you can buy the Owners Manual for $20 or the Service Manual for $93. I plan to do my own basic maintenance and winterization. Is it better to have both manuals? or do I only need the Owners Manual? Would there be anything useful to me in the Service Manual or do I only need that if I am taking apart the engine?

so far, with the owner's manual and the help from these forums, I've managed to keep my motor running great. I may buy a sevice manual one day, just to study up on all "the finer details" of motor repair, but so far, so good. If you read and study the owner's manual and do most of what it says, you should get good service. my experience has been that if you keep your fuel real fresh and clean, your motor will stay very happy. Use Stabil Marine and Yamaha Ringfree all the time and a water/fuel seperator...very good investments in preventive maintenance. Good luck!

Comment

Well, I have to disagree but that's me. The service manual is going to cost >$100 with shipping. And yes, people on this website have lived just about any problem you are going to have. But I need a picture when I'm working on things; been that way all my life and I would by both. All us old guys say "when in doubt read the directions". If you think about it it's really a cheap investment compared to the money you're going to save. Good luck with the boat!
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

well, this forum got me to thinking and I broke down and ordered a Yamaha Service Manual yesterday... it'll probably pay for itself in the long run and should help me to understand these motors better. My motor is an older model(1999) 2 stroke premix and I've just never had any problems with it at all, but some of these newer motors seem to be a great deal more complex and require maintenance knowledge beyond what I know about. Good Luck!

Comment

Robert, as a rule the manual shows how things go together. I still refer to this forum regularly to see how things "work" and learn from other guys that have experienced different things. I've read about 2/3 of this forum and make notes in the manual. There is a wealth of information here. I also have99 vintage 2-stroke. Those 4-strokes look like voodoo to me. But I think one day that's all that's going to be available. I think there still getting them dialed in but once they do I bet they perform as well as 2-strokes.
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
          X