Suggestion on fuel filter replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion on fuel filter replacement

I am having a problem with the fuel fiter on my 1998 Yamaha VMax 150 HP carb motor. It doesn't look like the OEM filter can be taken apart and cleaned. I was wondering what the alternative is? The replacement in line filters I have seen do not resemble the one that came from the factory. Any suggestions.

Long123

I installed the Walmart fuel/water seperator($27) on my transom and it works great. In fact, I unscrew it from time to time and just dump the gas/dirt/crud and put it back on. I know it works because the small plastic in-line filter on the motor used to have some water/dirt in it, but now there is nothing at all in it. It's got to be the best $27 investment in reliability and preventive maintenance that you can buy. I know Yamaha makes a full line of fuel/water seperators and I'm confident they are excellent, but this Walmart unit works awfully well for the money$$$ Good Luck!

Comment

long123

When I took the cover off all I found was a white plastic device bolted to the motor fram that had fuel in it. I tried unsucessfully to unscrew the top. I didn't want to put to much pressure on it. I figured it was a permanent filter that had to be replaced. Nothing like the in-line replacement filters I have seen online. I am stumped.

Long123

Comment

carefully grab that white plastic filter bowl with a pair of pliers and unscrew it, clean it out, remove the little screen on the inside(it just pops out), check the o-ring, put a drop of oil on o-ring and threads to re-install...no problem! then go get the Walmart fuel/water seperator and screw it to your transom, run the fuel hoses and you're set to go!

Comment

Working...
        X