Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 Yamaha 40: Mysterious hose and Missing Oil tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Yamaha 40: Mysterious hose and Missing Oil tank?

My brother and I have recently inherited a 1987 HighTide with a 1987 Precision Blend Yamaha 40SH on it. After putting the motor back on the boat, we've noticed that there is a hose coming from the lower unit of the motor that appears to be unhooked. The hose has marks around the end of it which tells me that it was previously zip-tied or hose clamped to something. Does anyone know what this is? Could it possibly go to that fitting beside it that's capped off?

Also, I'm assuming the oil tank has been removed, right? What do I need to hook another up? Just another tank and a hose?

And lastly, when changing the lower gear oil level, do i need to remove both the "wash" and 'oil level" plugs up top? Can anyone explain the significance of these two plugs? I know that I have to fill it from the bottom hole but I'm not sure if I need both top plugs uncapped when doing this or only one plug!

Sorry for all of the noob questions. I'm pretty well-versed with automotive drivetrains but I'll have to admit, I'm new to marine motors. Thanks in advance for all of the help!
    Last edited by xlcooplx; 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM. Reason: resized photos

The hose is the speedometer hose, if not using a speedo then cap hose off.
    You would all oil injection componets, oil pump, oil tank, injection hoses etc...
    The wash plug is for connecting a fresh water flush adapter, only remove the vent and drain screw when changing gearcase oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      The hose is the speedometer hose, if not using a speedo then cap hose off.
      You would all oil injection componets, oil pump, oil tank, injection hoses etc...
      The wash plug is for connecting a fresh water flush adapter, only remove the vent and drain screw when changing gearcase oil.
      sounds great! thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X