Yamaha 250 HPDI Vmax Excessive Smoke and Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 250 HPDI Vmax Excessive Smoke and Oil Leak

I recently had the local dealer fix a fuel problem on my 2004 250 HPDI Vmax and they saw that the oil pump was on recall. They replaced the pump and lately I have been having oil issues but I do not know if it is related.

The issues are two fold:
    1. The engine sometimes smokes excessively after running and doesn't seem to quit until some time after you start it the next time.

I checked the oil "regulating arm" to see if it was getting hung on wires or hoses and it doesn't seem to be.

2. Lately I found oil leaking down the inside of the motor and eventually into the water by means of the lower unit. Not from the lower unit just traveling down the outer surface of it from inside the motor. It seems to be coming from the motor mounted tank but I can not tell where on it??

I pulled the cowling off and looked for signs that the oil level was getting too high in the motor mounted tank and it didn't seem to be. With this being the case I couldn't tell if the tank was filling to much while running above idle and then returning to a normal level while in low speed.

These two items seem to me to be unrelated but I don't know if maybe the two symptoms together could pin point something in somebody elses eyes.

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Jeb

Sounds like engine oil tank is overfilling, the oil level should be at top line on oil tank. Need to watch oil level while running to see if overfilling.
    Last edited by boats.net; 07-08-2009, 09:15 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, what do you think could cause it to fill above the max line?

Any thoughts on the excessive smoke?

Comment

If it is overfilling probably need to replace oil level sensor in oil tank.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

200 Yamaha 1988 oil pump issue

I have a similar issue that I need help with. If the boat is in the garage and the motor is in a tilted position. The oil is drained from the motor tank and the main oil tank also. I do not find oil on the floor of the garage just in the cowl of the motor.

Thanks if any one has any suggestions..

Comment

Check that the engine oil tank is not too full(above upper line on tank), check the oil pump if that 88 still has the Keihin brand oil pump on it then needs to have the Mikuni oil pump conversion kit put on it.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X