2002 Yam 50 - Stalls out over 1500 RPM - Squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Yam 50 - Stalls out over 1500 RPM - Squeak

I have a 2002 Yamaha 50 that has been a great little motor until recently. I took the boat out on the river and spent about 30 minutes idling around. When I went to accelerate the boat died. Cranked it again without a problem, idles fine, push throttle over 1500 and it dies. I noticed shortly after that I got an intermittent sueak or chirp that would drop rmp at idle. I only hear the chirp at idle.

I thought maybe I ran the gas to low and sucked up some water so I changed the gas out, new fuel water sperator, bypassed the inline filter, changed plugs out and I get the same result.

I took it out on the 4th (idles fine) for fireworks on the river and at one point I moved the thottle up and she seemed like she was gonna grab but I was in idle zone with LE all over so I couldn't jump on it. I was not able to duplicate that.

I checked the fuel pump and diaphram and all seems well.

Any insight on this ?

Thanks

Probably need to remove and clean carbs, sounds like it's running too lean.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible that there is water in the carbs and that is the cause of this failure to throttle up past 1500. I can rev the engine up above 1500 in neutral but in gear its a no go.

I went over and pulled the brass screw off of each carb and drained the bowl, didn't see much in the way of bubbles to indicate water but did notice some black dirt/granuals in the bowl of the top carb.

I think I will pull the carbs as you suggested, do you suggest I rebuild them or just a cleaning?

Comment

Thanks Boats.net, I broke down the 3 carbs and cleaned them up real good, there was some oxidation going on in the bowls of the top and bottom carbs, middle carb was squeaky clean. Anyhow, cleaned all 3 carbs and the motor runs like a champ once again.

Thanks for your direction, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X