Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

I have a 2001 200 HPDI on a 21 Contender. When cruising in semi rough conditions the boat likes to jump a little causing the prop to come out of the water for a second. This causes the high temp alarm to come on and brings the engine to safe mode by dropping RPM's. I stop, turn off the engine, then restart the engine and rev the engine in neutral. The alarm then goes off and I am able to take off again. I just put a brand new lower unit on with a brand new water pump. Just wondering if I should check something or if this is normal. Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Not sure what you mean by jumping, is it porposing, jumping out of gear, engine stalling or missing or cavitation?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

By jumping I meant that the boat will hit a wave and leave the water for a second. Thanks for all your help

Comment

If lower unit of motor is coming out of water then it will cause cavitation(prop coming out of water) and overheat(water pump intake out of water). Is the motor low enough on boat transom, is cavitation plate at or below hull of boat?
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Its close. IMO it could prob stand to be moved down a hole. Would moving it down allow me to turn more RPM's as well?

Comment

Moving down will reduce rpm's but help with any cavitation problem.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X