Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim seal replacement help

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the trim rod seals and o-rings on my '01 HPDI 200 Yamaha (VZ200TLRZ). The dust seals starting leaking a few weeks ago and made a mess on my garage floor. I purchased all of the seals (parts 17, 18, 19, & 20 in the trim assy schematic) from my local yamaha dealer. I removed the trim rods but I can't figure out how to remove the trim cap to replace the seals. I thought maybe the lower rod end might unscrew from the trim rod so I put it in my vice with aluminum vice clamps and used a belt wrench to try and loosen them. No such luck. The o-rings are obvious since they just slide on over the trim rod and cap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Rich
    Austin, TX
    Attached Files

The cap just slides off over top of ram and then you can replace seals in cap.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

That's what I thought too. However, my trim cap seems to catch on the top lip of the trim rod. It will not come off by hand. I haven't tried knocking it off with a rubber mallet. Does it typically requiring using a mallet or hammer to knock it off?

Thanks for the reply.

-Rich
      Austin, TX

Comment

OK, I figured it out. The cap on the starboard side slide right off the trim rod with ease. The cap on the port side was a pain to slide off the trim rod. Since I started with the port side I was baffled by how the cap was supposed to come off. After I took the starboard side off and it came apart easily I understand how it works. As for the port side, I carefully positioned the trim rod upside down in my vice with proper wood/rubber contacts to prevent damage to trim rod and bottom. I then used a piece of wood to slowly knock the trim cap off by hitting downward on it from multiple sides. It took some pretty strong hits to eventually slide it off. Be extremely careful to avoid contact to the trim rod/cap assbly with any metal as it dings VERY easy. Once I got it all apart it was obvious how the trim seals could be replaced. If I hadn't had the snafu with the port side trim cap the entire job would have only taken 1 hr max. Instead I've got about 4 hr into it now But at least I know how it all works now!

Thanks for the help. This is a great forum!

-Rich
        Austin, TX

Comment

Leaking Trim Seals

I posted a writeup on how to change out your trim seals here...enjoy!

AustinBassFishing.com - Leaking trim seals

Comment

Working...
          X