Oil ,ist under cowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil ,ist under cowl

Recently bought 1985 Yamaha 200. Noticed in my cleanup that the engine was covered in a light, but very thick coat of oil similar to fogging oil. I believed this to be the 2 stroke oil that had misted out and sat on the engine for several years. I cleaned this off the entire engine, which had been preserved very nicely by the oil coat. After running about 8 hours over a weekend and trailering home, I noticed a film of oil on the forward half of the engine and front of the lower cowl (motor was fully tilted for most of the weekend. I have examined the 6 tubes coming from the oil pump to the carbs and they are wet with oil here and there. I suspect a crack some where, but it is small, as I seem to get a widespread coating, not drops or pools of oil. Any suggestions on how to locate, short of replacing all the hoses? Any common failure points?

May be leaking out of carbs when not running and tilted up, if so then may have old style(Keihin pump) oil pump.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yes, it is the old style pump. I think I will live with this until winter, as it runs so well (and is 24 years old). Thanks.

Comment

Could just be the cap on the 2nd oil tank

Comment

Working...
        X