Possible Voltage / Charging Problem my Outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Voltage / Charging Problem my Outboards

I have a new boat with new 2005 model 115TXRD and a T8PXRD and I've had a couple of strange symptoms that I think are charging related. Both motors have about 15 hours each.

Symptom One:

1. I think there is a voltage problem with getting too much voltage at the fuse box. The problem that I am having is my Fishfinder is telling me it is getting too much voltage (>15.6V) when I am just running the kicker motor and have the key shutoff to the main motor. The kicker is wired into a dual battery setup along with the main motor. There is a battery switch to go between each battery or both. The FF is wired to the fuse box and happens to be double fused, once through its own and once via the fuse box fuse. If I turn on the main motor key, to light up the gauge package and power up the other instruments then the FF does not complain and works fine.

Symptom Two:

2. I blew a 3 AMP fuse for my VHF (which is new, ICOM 302) and is wired to the fuse box. The fuse blew while running at close to WOT (4400PM). The kicker motor was not used in this scenario since I was up and planing with the boat. This sort of indicates a charging issue with the main motor although it could have been an anomaly since it is a bit unlike symptom one where the kicker was used.

The advice of the boat manufacturer that built and installed the motors was to take it to a Yamaha Service dealer to have the voltage regulators checked which seem to make sense but I'm wondering if there is anything else obvious I can check. Since I bought the boat a long ways from where I live I can't go back to them for help so I'll use local service if needed.

Karvin,
    I would attach a digital voltmeter to one selected battery and first run the kicker motor and monitor the voltage. If it goes above 14.6 at mid throttle, then I would suspect the regulator.
    Also, do the same test for the 115.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,

I can easily do that with the voltmeter and that makes sense. I think I discovered why Symptom two caused a fuse to blow out for the VHF. In looking at my VHF specs for the ICOM 302 the current drain at max TX High is 5.5A Max. The fuse box only had a 3Amp fuse put in for this so it likely pulled too much juice through it. This makes sense as I was testing the transmit briefly with my wife onshore as a test and so it probably blew right after that. I'll put in a 8 AMP fuse or so and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help. This is a great Forum I stumbled upon when doing some Yamaha research.

Comment

Karvin,
        Nice troubleshooting on that fuse blow - if you had mentioned that you were in the transmit mode with the VHF when the fuse blew, I could have made the connection.
        This is how you learn this stuff - apply as much logic as you can and read equipment specs, look over owner and shop manuals, and spend a lot of time reading posts on forums just like this.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Well I'm not a 100% sure that it blew when I transmitted but I'm about 90% sure so I'll know when I pop a bigger fuse in there and see how it goes on the next couple of outings. I have the Service manuals on order for the 115 and the T8 so I'll be further "educated".

Comment

Working...
          X