Yamaha Water Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Water Pumps

I'm at a loss, I installed a water pump kit in a 1990 Yamaha 150 and it overheats and nothing comes from the pee hole. I know I assembled it correctly; I've had it in and out at least 6 times to check it out. To verify what I was doing I removed the pump from my other Yamaha 150, I put it back together and have exactly the same problem. Both engines ran cool although one was beginning to show weak flow from the pee hole. OBVIOUSLY I'm doing something wrong and doing it consistently. Anyone have any idea what this dummy could be doing wrong?

did you align the watertube

Comment

Are they overheating?

Are you sure you got the O-ring on the base of the waterpump housing to stay in place in it's groove when you re-assembled it? Did you rotate the driveshaft clockwise while you slid the impeller blades into the stainless housing liner? The stainless housing liner is in the proper spot with the notches lined up? There's many things that can go wrong with an installation. It just takes careful attention to detail and lots of experience. You have a service manual for you motor right?

- Mike

Comment

Yes, I absolutely did all of those things. On the working motor I took it apart just enough to see how it was put together, put it back on the motor, and nothing. I'm completely baffled, I'm convinced I did everything right but I sure did something wrong.

Comment

Clean the hose that comes from the engine to the pee hole

Comment

Still Baffled

I removed a thermostat and verified that the water is not being pumped up the water tube. I know the water tube is clear, I connected a water hose to the bottom of the water tube. I've double checked all assembly and water pump to water tube coupling, and I've checked the inlets.

Comment

try:

drop lower unit
              affix water hose to water tube and run, see it runs normal
              this can help you to see if it is the powerhead or pump

Comment

Tried That

I tried that, I removed a thermostat and ran water from a hose to the bottom of the water tube. Do you mean to do that with the engine running? The only thing different about the way I reassembled the pump is that I didn't use any sealer. Whoever did it before had mountains of the stuff in there. Maybe my next move should be to glob on a ton of the stuff.

Comment

Are you running this on muffs or in a tub? If on muffs, try submerging the lower unit in a tub of water, making sure the water level is higher than the pump and then run the motor...

Comment

That sounds like a great suggestion; I've been wondering about trying it in the water but didn't want to drag it to the ramp only to get irritated. That is on my to do list for tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for a new theory to cling to.

Comment

Working...
                    X