89 yamaha 225 excel not getting enough spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 yamaha 225 excel not getting enough spark

I recently bought a boat it bogged down and stalled three different times.when I tried to start back up it had weak cranking power.I charged and eventually changed batteries still nothing I cleaned up some corosion in battery cables it still had slow cranking I checked the spark and it was very weak.The shop I had look at it thinks it is a bearing issue because the flywheel was hard to turn.They want to pull the boat and drop the lower unit to clean any debree out and possibly change bearings. Does this sound like a logical cause for the problem and is this a comon isue wih this year motor.

i would first try NEW cables, then check starter.

personally ive never seen a lower unit slow down a powerhead but it COULD be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
      i would first try NEW cables, then check starter.

personally ive never seen a lower unit slow down a powerhead but it COULD be possible.
      I've seen it happen but it was just before some lower unit parts tried to climb out of the case.

I would pull the spark plugs and see how it does. If it's still hard to spin over then pull the gearcase.

It could be your starter going out. An OMC I was working on did that very same thing. Changed the starter and it spins over like a top. It's never started that quickly.
      Russ Rogers
      Xr 2001 Allison

Comment

Working...
      X