Testing Pulsar Coil on a Z150TXRZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Pulsar Coil on a Z150TXRZ

I have been slowly working on a non-running 2001 150 HP HPDI. I was told that the engine had been submerged as the boat rolled on it's moring. Before I bought it, it had around $800 worth of clean-up by a dealer but they never made it run. Little by little I have acquired new and used parts, cleaned and inspected existing parts. Most areas seem to be completly free of any signs of corrosion. In fact, the engine looks like new. I have removed and looked at all of the wiring harnesses and only a few ends have shown any corrosion at all. Two fuel injectors were bad and have been replaced. I also replaced the Injector Driver (black box). The pins on the ECU show no signs of corrosion. It appears that items like the starter motor and tilt motor did suffer, I had to replace the brush springs in both but they now work.

I decided to pull the flywheel and look at the stator and pulsar coil. Both show some signs of corrosion. I am replacing the stator, but wonder if the pulsar coil can be tested "on the bench" . Comments on this almost hopeless cause (hobby)?? Of coarse, the easy way would be to replace all of the electronics, but even with a good dose of used parts the cost is probably more than the engine is worth. So far, I have around $1,000 and lots of hours in this project

You should get 5 volts(peak reading volts) out of the pulsor coils at cranking speed. There are no risistance specs for them.
    Last edited by boats.net; 07-01-2009, 10:33 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can this be done without a special test harness?

Comment

Just for fun, I tested the resistance of the six coils. All were all around 330 ohms. Don't know if that's good or bad but at least they were all the same.

I'm going to re-install it and test the peak voltage, assuming I get my hands on a dva capable meter. Any suggestions for a decent low cost peak reading volt meter. The least expensive one that I have seen is an analog ESI-530 for around $70.

Comment

Probably wont find any cheaper than that.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X