2004 F225 bogging past half throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 F225 bogging past half throttle

Hi, I have a 224 f225 on a 225 key west, put into the water for the first time yesterday. Idles nice and smooth response thru mid throttle (3400 rpm) or so. After mid throttle bogs right down to 2000 - 2600 or so. Doesn't matter if out of the hole or while cruising. Bring the throttle back to 1/2 and will wind right back up to 3400 or so. (It will wind right up in neutral with no load). I don't know if it may be one or more things? It seems that the prop was recently replaced with a pretty thin aluminum without adequate markings. The only markings are 1 5 M and y-1 on the inside (no mention of pitch?) Could this be the problem under load or fuel system? Appreciate any guidance. Also, on a lighter note, the trim gauge indicates 3 bars no matter what the attitude of the motor.. is this an easy fix? Thanks

Probably a fuel problem have fuel vacumn and pressure test run on it. The trim cam on tilt tube may be broken causing gauge to read incorrectly, check the black plastic clamp looking piece on tilt tube.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

F225 bogging past half throttle

Checked Fuel pressure via gauge 40 - 44psi, after running 38 (reg seems ok). Took apart the vapor separator and cleaned the needle valve and filter screen at bottom of high pressure pump (approx 1/3rd blockage by particulate) need to order new gaskets but reassembled for now. Will put into water tomorrow because I cant put a load on it. Trim meter problem was determined to be a "corroded" sending unit, meaning the coil spring could not raise the plastic armature due to seized up componets. Was able to lube and get partial response but will probably have to have to get a new one as the unit is sealed. Will report back. If cleaning the vapor separator (didn't) do the trick will be looking for further guidance as i dont have a reputable Yamaha shop within an hour or so

Comment

Check all gas fittings. Like coming out of the gas tank, going into the primer bulb, coming out of the bulb, going into the spin on fuel filter, check and see if the filter is tight enough..... you get the idea. I missed the one coming out of the tank and it really made my head hurt tring to figure out the problem. Check for air in the plastic bowl, I don't think there is suppose to be any in there. If the plastic bowl has been taken off and you have been using ethonal gas you may not have gotten it on all the way. On that bowl make sure you have the collar on all the way so you can't see any (well maybe one) thread. There is also the filter after the vst filter its a cannister it can be changed if you think it might need changing. I don't know if the four strokes have an o2 sensor but you could check that if you have one. Keep in mind my knowledge comes from my hpdi so some of it may be a little different but i think the fuel setup is close to the same. Good luck. Don't forget to check the lp fuel pumps buy loosening the bolts (not screws) if gas pours out they may need to be replaced. One last thing if you primer bulb is colapsed then you are creating a vacum in the fuel tank and it won't run properly (try running off a portable tank).

Comment

F225 bogging past half throttle

Thanks for your info. I am glad to say that cleaning the screen at the bottom of the HP fuel pump as well as the float needle did the trick! I now have full throttle response. Thanks again
          Last edited by cranebug; 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X