115ETLH Bad Starter Relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115ETLH Bad Starter Relay?

Can't start my motor and have traced power and cliking to an uncertain part.
    The Yamaha Outboard's tag shows it to be a Model# is 115ETLH with a 6E5 and L indicator under the model# tag. I'm not positive of the year because
    it came on a 1980 Ranger that I purchased in May of 1992. The motor was
    not the original for the boat.
    The part that I have traced the 'clicking' to is mounted on the passenger side of the bow-facing part of the motor. It is a square-looking apparatus approximately 2"x2" in size. It is surrounded by a black rubber, removable boot whose purpose appears to not only to be to insulate the item but has slots cut out on each side for mounting it to the motor. There are two large posts w/nuts on opposite diagnal corners and two smaller screws on the other two opposite corners. One of the larger screws had a large Red positive wire nutted down to it. The black 'negative' wire paired with it went to the starter. The opposite large post/nut had a shorter (but same gauge) wire leading from it
    to the other (I believe 'Positive') side of the starter.
    When I placed a meter on the feed positive and negative starter posts I showed voltage. When I switched the positive meter needle to touch the shorter wire to the starter, I got nothing. Even after turning the key to start the motor.
    In addition to the two large posts to which the larger wires attach, there is also a smaller black ground wire and a light brown wire of similar gauge size that appears to be routed to the second position down from the top of the fuse box located on the opposite side of the motor. These two wires (both the black and brown are soddered to the part in question with an in-line coupling in use to extend the brown wire to the fuse box.

The back-side of the part is round and labeled Hitachi 12V A104-127.

Based upon the above, I'm hoping you can identify what it is as I believe it to be why the motor won't even begin to kick the starter over. I believe this might be a faulty part and the cause of the motor not turning over.
    When I searched the intranet for the Hitachi item numbers, it led me to believe it was some sort of Battery Isolator. However, an earlier reply informed me that it is probably NOT an isolator as they did not come on this year mjotor. My next guess is a Starter Relay of some sort?

If you can give me any guidance or suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I can't seem to locate this part anywhere on the net or listed here on OutboardParts.com, Of course, it would certainly help if I could properly identify the part I may need to replace.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me.

when pushing up or down on the switch do you get a click each way on the relay? it needs to click /jump to send voltage to motor.
    you can also check for 12v on the side that goes to motor. if not it needs to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
    X