pressure control valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure control valve

after a lot of diagostics, my pressure relief valve is stuck open. I am sure if i try to replace it the bolts they will snap. My boat mechanic tells me to just cap it off, that it really is not needed on an outboard. What are your thoughts? I know drilling out the snapped bolts will not be easy.

Are they already broke off ?

Are they already snapped off? Why do you say you know they will snap off? They are not torqued too tight. If you get them loose just work them back and forth a quarter turn at a time until you feel them free up. Use some grease on the threads when you reinstall them, and don't over-tighten them, should be fine. If the engineers who designed your motor felt the pressure relief valve wasn't really needed do you think it would be there? Get a new mechanic.

Make sure you re-install the new style "mushroom head" pressure relief valve.

- Mike

Comment

Gotta agree with Hamfisted. I just bought a 99 and replaced all components in the cooling system. The bolts were not that tight. Suggest buying a new grommet too, don't forget the gasket. Also, remove the connectors at the bottom of the CDI and swing it up out of the way to get to the job. I posted a thread Friday night about an almost disaster I had replacing the PCV that may be some help.
      Don't you just love hack mechanics.
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

when i replaced the thermastats, 7 or the 8 bolts snapped. Tons of PB. the boat used to sit in saltwater all season for years. the bolts are caked with hardened salt. it the bolts snap i have to lift the powerhead to get to them to drill out the holes. he is a good mechanic, he told me to close off the hose about 85% and it should probably run fine.

Comment

Working...
        X