2001 150 HPDI throttle plates sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 150 HPDI throttle plates sticking

I have twin 2001 HPDI 150's. The starboard engine was idling high. I took the backfire arrestors off and found the throttle plates corroded/rusted, and sticking. I cleaned them, and they worked fine for two weeks. After sitting a few weeks, the problem returned. i cleaned them again. After a few weeks of sitting, I went to use the boat and I could get no throttle response from that engine. I found that the corrosion had returned, and was causing the linkage to stick. There are only two of the six plates causing it, the rest are fine. Can the intake/throttle plates be serviced, or am I looking at replacing the intake & throttle plates?

Any help appreciated

those plates should be made of brass...is it metal corrosion or a carbon build-up like on an automobile throttle body. carbon fairly easy to remove with carb cleaner and a tooth brush, but don't know what would cause a brass plate to corrode like that unless some salt water is getting in to it?

Comment

Actually the throttle plates are stainless steel. Not true stainless, as a magnet will stick to them... and they rust.

I was wondering if anyone had ever drilled the rivets out and pulled the bearing rods in order to get them freed (the rods), so that they will roll freely.

Comment

Working...
      X