Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to secure the throttle grip back onto handle???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to secure the throttle grip back onto handle???

'94 Yamaha F9.9MHS. . .took the whole handle (throttle/shift part) off of the motor in order to replace the shift cable. . .now we can't get the throttle grip to stay on the metal handle portion. . .

. . .we unscrewed the screw at the tip of the throttle grip and the handle slid right off. . .we can slide the grip all the way back on no problem, but the screw doesn't seem to be doing anything to keep the grip in place. . .

. . .is there a special trick to get this back on and captive so that it won't slide off???

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by melissa View Post
    '94 Yamaha F9.9MHS. . .took the whole handle (throttle/shift part) off of the motor in order to replace the shift cable. . .now we can't get the throttle grip to stay on the metal handle portion. . .

. . .we unscrewed the screw at the tip of the throttle grip and the handle slid right off. . .we can slide the grip all the way back on no problem, but the screw doesn't seem to be doing anything to keep the grip in place. . .

. . .is there a special trick to get this back on and captive so that it won't slide off???

Thanks!!!
    Melissa, are you using a 703 con*****er? That may help people understand and provide help. I use a 703 type I do not think I need to take the top part of the handle off to adjust or replace cables.

Are you speaking about the shift lever on the motor itself?
    Last edited by jonp; 06-13-2009, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I'm talking about the twist throttle con*****er. . .I don't know if it's a 703 con*****er. . .the number on the label plate say 6G8-01, but I don't know if we are talking about the same part.

I've understand the shift lever. . .that was simple. . .and I certainly didn't expect any problems getting the throttle grip to stay put. . .we loosened the one screw at the end of it and it slid right off. . .now we can slide the throttle grip back on (it mates up with the throttle cable ears no problem and just rotates down the metal housing), but it won't secure to the handle it slides off just as easily as it slides on and the screw isn't engaging anything to anchor it. . .

Comment

The nut in back of plastic piece that grip screw threads into may have fell out of place, may have remove plastic grip to get nut back into place.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks Boats.net. . .that nut is between the rubber grip and the plastic tube correct? It's not somewhere it could have fallen completely away right???

Easy to replace if so, but I don't wanna take the grip off the housing if that's not where the nut is supposed to be.

Thanks!!!

Comment

The nut is number 9 in this diagram, you probably would have to remove grip to get to it.
            Yamaha Outboard Parts 1994 F9.9MSHS STEERING Diagram
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

No one would happen to know what size that nut is would they. . .

it's a captive screw so I can't really get it out without a LOT of hassle. . .woudl be much easier to just run down to HD or Lowes and get a replacement screw than to wait on shipping for a little nut!!!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X