I need an education on props...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need an education on props...

RE: SX150 OX66 EFI. I don't get it. If the motor is running within spec how can one of those $700 shiny, stainless steel jewels make things better?? Now I admit the specified performance range on my motor,4500-5500, is a huge spread. But if I'm falling right in the middle at 5000 RPM; what can I expect with a new prop? I've been reading posts like crazy. A larger prop with more pitch is going to decrease RPM's and that means the motor is overloaded right? Why would anyone want to do that? Am I thinking right??

Thanks Guys!
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
    RE: SX150 OX66 EFI. I don't get it. If the motor is running within spec how can one of those $700 shiny, stainless steel jewels make things better?? Now I admit the specified performance range on my motor,4500-5500, is a huge spread. But if I'm falling right in the middle at 5000 RPM; what can I expect with a new prop? I've been reading posts like crazy. A larger prop with more pitch is going to decrease RPM's and that means the motor is overloaded right? Why would anyone want to do that? Am I thinking right??

Thanks Guys!
    Lower pitch will increase top end RPM and hole shot/torque but will give less top end MPH and high pitch will do opposite. If you think about it in your head, the high pitch will travel further per revoluton, giving more speed. As long as you don't get crazy and only or subtract a degree or 2 each way, you should stay within the specified range. A dealer should let you test a couple props if you intend to pay full retail, but there are a lot of used props out there.

Comment

Working...
    X