1990 Yamaha 200 jet removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Yamaha 200 jet removal

After reading the forum I am fairly certain that I have a clogged jet but I'm unsure of how to go about removing the jets and cleaning. I little detail on this subjet would be great. The boat is on a lift and I would rather not take it off.

Hard to do on a lift...

The jets are on the outside lower portion of the carb bowls. The small brass one is the idle jet, the bigger brass bolt looking one is the main jet. What's your motor doing? The small idle jet usually clogs up with evaporated gas debris if the motor(s) are not run at least every two weeks or so. Resulting in poor idle qualities, if not outright stalling. Starting in the '97 model year Yamaha moved the jets to the bottom of the carb body instead of the bowl to help reduce this problem. If your motor only wants to idle when the choke is operated this is a sign of clogged idle jets. I wouldn't recommend doing this job while the boat is on a lift. The work area is restricted and you are almost guaranteed to drop something important and be unable to find it if the boat is on a lift.
    You have to be able to access both sides of the powerhead fairly easily. I would recommend putting the boat on a trailer.

- Mike

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I believe I understand what to do now. Any good ideas for getting water out of a fuel tank.

Comment

Racor filters...

Are you using a Racor fuel/water separator filter between the fuel tank and motor? Is it showing any water collected? The only sure way to remove all water is to completely drain the tank. You can try different gas additives to help the fuel system pass the water if its a small amount. Look for one of the fuel drying additives at the autoparts store.

- Mike

Comment

If there is fluid in the bowl at the bottom does that mean there is water in the tank. My stays full. Every time I empty it it fills back up as soon as I pump the bulb.

Comment

There should be gas in fuel filter but not water.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X