'98 115 two stroke low speed problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 115 two stroke low speed problems

I have this recurring problem now it seems to be getting worse. It likes to sneeze and cough at idle and sometines shuts down. If I leave the dock and throttle it up nothing seems to happen other than the carbs open up but no acceleration and all of a sudden it takes off and goes up on plane. It seems to run fine at planing speeds but loads up and fouls the plugs if I am putting around the harbor. The last time out I put new plugs in and ran it 30 miles and came back into the harbor with it wanting to only run on 3 cylinders at low speed again. By the time I got back to the dock it got worse and was running on 2 cylinders at low speeds. After taking the new plugs out I found two of them fouled with carbon on them on the same side.
    I was thinking of putting carb kit on both carbs, anything else I should look at or reset ??

It needs the carbs removed and cleaned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The carbs are super clean. One of the bowl gaskets was stuck in the middle and tore off the outer ring. Would that be a problem ?

Comment

clean those carbs!

Had the same problem with my 1998 115 2-stroke. Had my mechanic pull and clean the carbs and you'd think I had a new motor. Idles perfect at 750 rpm and I gained 200 rpm at the top end. Also, I he found one of the thermostats suck open which caused half the motor to run too cold. Might check that too.

Comment

Working...
        X