Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• normal operating Temp

Hello All,

Been a while since I posted... I recently added a teleflex temperature gauge to my 90 2 stroke. I had to get an adapter to fit into the Yamaha plug in the block. All seems fine except that the gauge does not seem to register any higher temp that 140 degrees... Seems low to me. The gauge starts see a temp at 120 and has 5 tick marks with the highest temp being 240.

So... does any one know what is the normal operating temp for a 90 HP two stroke?

Thx
    jon

my motor is a 90HP 2 stroke also and I'll be interested to know what the normal temperature range is. If what you're reading is the cylinder head water temperature, i would expect it might be in the 140 to 150F range, con*****ed by the thermostat. A temperature guage like yours seems like a really good idea to help see problems in the early stages before they fry the motor. Good luck!

Comment

Thermostat opens at 118-126 degrees. Overheat warning activates at 183-194 degrees.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        Thermostat opens at 118-126 degrees. Overheat warning activates at 183-194 degrees.
        So does that mean a normal operating temp could be about 140?

Comment

I'm trying to understand normal operating temperature for my 2017 250 SHO. I have temperature on the Instrument screen of the Simrad electronics. Temp runs 120s when idling, runs 130s when loaded. The engine runs well in all circumstances. I just replaced the thermostats but they looked new. I'm waiting for an impeller to change.

Comment

what temp is the water running into the the motor. I would think that would have some input to how hot it runs.
            hotter water may not let the stat control the temp as well

Comment

Originally posted by craig.roser View Post
              I'm trying to understand normal operating temperature for my 2017 250 SHO. I have temperature on the Instrument screen of the Simrad electronics. Temp runs 120s when idling, runs 130s when loaded. The engine runs well in all circumstances. I just replaced the thermostats but they looked new. I'm waiting for an impeller to change.
              What temperature are you expecting to see?

This thread, about a 90 HP two stroke, with a Teleflex gauge, is probably related to water temperature. The temperature seen on an NMEA 2000 network, relative to an VF250 model, is engine block temperature.

Comment

Working...
              X