New Speedometer with 1998 Tach and FM Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speedometer with 1998 Tach and FM Gauge

I purchased a new speedometer 6Y5-83570-S5-00 to replace my malfunctioning unit (the LCD is hosed - moisture inside). The original 1998 set of gauges are connected to 1998 twin 200 saltwater series.

The new gauge does not have the wiring connection that will allow me to connect to the FM Gauge (the connection looks like S-video). I am aware of the 3 pin connection below the dip switches. The equivalent wire on the old gauge is soldered in place to a similar 3 pin connection point.

1. Is there a wiring harness I need to purchase to make this connection? Part Number?

2. Are there any differences between the old gauge and the new gauge that I need to be aware of or make additional modifications for? There appears to be one less ground wire on the new gauge. My assumption is that the "absent" ground connection was made internal to the gauge.

Thanks in advance

You would need a harness to connect to FM, part number 6Y5-87122-S0-00
    FMM GPS Connection.JPG
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Replacement of Speedometer - Compatibility with FM Gauge

I obtained a copy of Yamaha's Fuel Management System Manual. It indicates that connection to GPS has been available since 1998. The gauge set I have is a 1998 vintage. I am replacing the Speedo with "736" stamped on it, with a new one that has "91N" stamped on it (Model 6Y5-83570-S5-00). The FM gauge has 72C stamped on it (If that means anything).

I planned to pull the 3 wire connection circuit from the old speedometer to use with the FM Gauge connection to a GPS. The FM gauge with "72C" stamped on it does not have "dip switches" as described in the manual (that I can see). There is no plug on the back of the unit other than the one with a dozen wires through it. There is a yellow dial (found out that this is actually a plug). Beneath this plug is a 4 switch (dip switches) block rather than the 6 switch block shown in the FM Manual. Anyone know what the settings are? Is there a separate switch block for the other two switches?

The Yamaha FM Manual also discusses the 4 pin ROUND connector between the FM and Speedometer. The existing connection point between the existing Speedo and FM gauge is identical to a S Video connection (not 4-pin as described).

I am concerned that if I purchase the 6Y5-87122-S0-00 connector, it won't work with the ROUND connector that exists on my FM Gauge. Will the 6Y5-87122-S0-00 work with my FM Gauge ROUND connector that is identical to a S-Video connection?

Is it correct for me to presume that I have a "pre 1998" FM gauge that cannot be connected to a GPS? Maybe thats why two of the dipswitches are not present?
      Last edited by mark273; 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

If it only has 4 dip switches then no it wont connect to GPS and that harness wouldn't connect to it.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X