2004 40hp fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 40hp fuel pump

I have a 2004 40hp, it stalled while out and will not start. It will idle for a bit then stall with the emergency fuel enrichment switch engaged. If you try and accelerate it stalls instantly.

I checked the fuel filter and cleaned it. There are no restrictions in the lines the all squirt gas if the primer bulb is squeezed. I took off and cleaned all three carbs. They were spotless inside and there are no obstructions in the jets. I blew on them with a straw!

So my question of course is what could be wrong and how do you check the fuel pump?

I disengaged the lines going into the carb and turn the key and no gas comes out. Is it supposed to? It will if you squeeze the primer bulb gas comes out but not when you turn the key.
    I just don't know how the fuel pump works and how to check if it is what is causing my trouble.

Thanks!

If you are having to run it with choke engage then carbs are not clean enough yet.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      If you are having to run it with choke engage then carbs are not clean enough yet.
      It will start with the choke engaged but then it stalls but sometimes it will run for 20-30 secs. Is this still the carbs?

Comment

If you leave choke engaged it will stall out. If it stalls when choke is desengaged then probably need carbs cleaned.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok everyone thanks for all the help, I got her started this morning. It was quite the learning experience. I took apart and cleaned all three carbs, the fuel filter and the fuel pump and still had the same problem.

I did not try the most obvious. I drained all of the gas and put in some fresh gas and she started right up and ran just fine!

Like I said I learned quite a bit from all of this!
          Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X