RPM limit for 97 150 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM limit for 97 150 carb

The owners manual says 5500, wondering what the rev limiter is and have been told I should be running it around 5500-5700?

the yamaha book says maximum H.P. is made at 5000RPM...I had a 115H.P. on a 16 ft. Checkmate and used to trim it up for 5800RPM, with no apparent damage,but it can't be good for the motor to run max RPM for extended periods. I mean, would you do that with your car engine at red-line for cruising? I run a Yamaha 90C now and rarely run wide open for long, mainly because it tends to suck the gas tank dry very fast! your best MPG should be on plane in the 3500RPM range. On your boat with the perfect prop and trimmed out right I would think your WOT should be in the 5000 to 5500 range. Of course anything that happens, fuel-wise at full throttle, like a plugged carb jet or other, probably going to fry a cylinder real quick! These are just my thoughts on this subject...probably plenty of other opinions around. Good luck!

Comment

if it has a limiter it should kick in around 6200, thats where my last pro-v and a '90 200 did.

Comment

only 2 things can possibly happen at the rev limiter. 1) you get to see how much noise your engine can make and 2) you get to see how fast you can break your engine.

Comment

Working...
        X