40HP or 60HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40HP or 60HP

I need help in determining if the motor I am having put on my boat is a 40HP or 60HP. I know this sounds strange, but I am becoming very wary of the local marine guy in my area. He is supposed to be putting a brand new 60 HP outboard put on my 20' pontoon boat. I went be there yesterday to see the boat and the cover was off the motor. Close to it was a 40HP cover laying on the ground, no 60HP cover to be found. Also, a friend of mine was there a couple of weeks ago and swore he saw a 40HP motor on my boat. I have asked him several times if this is a 60HP I'm getting and he tells me yes. However, he also tells me that the 60HP has 3 cyl. and the 40HP has 2 cyl.

Sorry to ramble, but can anyone please tell me how I can know for sure what HP this motor is (serial #, or other indications on the motor itself) without the cover on.

Thanks

bamacpa,
    The boats.net mechanic will be able to answer this for you better than I, but if your new motor is a Yamaha, go to either yamahaoutboard.com or boats.net and type in your model and year motor and look at the diagrams - that will tell you two cylinders or three.
    Also, I believe that the model and serial number are on a tag that should be attached to the motor bracket somewhere.
    I would like to know how the dealer is going to put the 40hp cover on your motor and tell you it is a 60hp!
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Well I have a new 40HP 2 stroke and it has three cylinders, so I don't know where he came up with two.

Comment

I would like to know what mechanic it is too. Seeing that you are in South Alabama. I am in Mobile.

Comment

Working...
        X