1985 Yamaha 90 oil pump help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Yamaha 90 oil pump help needed

I ordered a new oil pump from boats.net for my 1985 Yamaha 90ETLK and they sent me what they say is a superseded oil pump part# 6H1-WS132-00-00 along with an adapter, new linkage and check valves for the oil lines. Has anyone tried to install this pump because I could not get it to fit. The holes do not line up by about an 1/8th of an inch because the bottom of the oil pump hits the block. Even if I did get it to fit I have no idea which cylinders to hook the lines up to, their not marked. Or dose it matter? What should I do? Should I return it and use my old one that I don't have any idea how many hours are on it. Can I just rebuild the old one? If so where can I get an overhaul kit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got my powerhead back from getting an overhaul because the center cylinder broke a ring and lost compression and I don't want to do this all over again.

Sidney,

Did you ever make any progress on this? I wanted to replace the pump in my 1989 225. My original one did not have inline check valves (they are integral to the pump) but the one they sold me was to be used with inline check valves. They were supplied but the drive worm gear that goes into the engine looked nothing like the one I took off with the older motor (2 inches longer! and thicker too I think). Unless there is something I was supposed to remove from the engine block to make use of this new drive gear.

Anyhow, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and I am putting my old one back. My problem was oil leaking back through the carbs when the motor was tilted up. But when I had my old one apart the check valves seemed to be OK. So I'm hoping that maybe something got cleaned out and it will work OK now (just reinstalled the pump last night on drydock so I haven't had a chance to test it).

I've been told that, worse comes to worse, I can buy six inline check valves and put them inline IN ADDITION to the six that are integral to the pump - should I still have a leakage problem.

Comment

Working...
    X