2003 F40 idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 F40 idle problems

I have a 2003 F40 four stroke that is running poorly. I had the carbs cleaned by a certified mechanic last July, but it still runs rough. Within the last week I dumped all of the old fuel let tank cleaner soak in both the tank and main fuel line for two days, then flushed all cleaner out with fresh gas. I drained the bowls and flushed them several times with carb cleaner. I can keep the boat running at 2000 rpm or higher in neutral but when i try to idle or put in gear it chokes out. I have used startron since ethanol blends became commonplace, and I always run the motor dry in the winter and add stabilizer to any remaining fuel. Would it help any if i took the air intake and sprayed carb cleaner while running? Any help would be appreciated.

The F40 carbs are some of the hardest to get clean but someone that has experience with them, an ultrasonic carb cleaner, air compressor and carb synchronization gauges can clean them with success.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

You should also pull the bowl off the carb and shake it. You should hear a rattle sound. If you do not hear it then you will need to replace the bowl. There is a check valve in the bowl.

Comment

I took the carbs off last night and cleaned them up pretty good. It is running much better now, there is just a little hesitation in the mid range or if you punch it, but that was running in a barrel too. Nothing a good run out on the river shouldn't take care of. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X