1986 70 Hp Fuel Prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 70 Hp Fuel Prob

I am new here but I see a bunch of good info. The outboard I have is leaking fuel out the front of all 3 carbs. If it was just one I would think it is the needle and seat. But all three? Could it be the fuel pump diaphram? The bulb will not stay primed either. It will run fine when pumped up but when it sits it loses prime.

Also how can you make sure oil injection is working. I put a mark on it but will it be to late by the time it goes down enough to notice? Any info is appreciated. First Yamaha.

Think I got it. It appeaers that it was the float on the top carb. It was leaking down on all 3 and looked like they were all leaking. Trouble shooting with one person is tough. Also thanks to Spellmans Marine "ED" he led me to check the carbs again befor buying the fuel pum assy.

Comment

miss kate,
      Glad you got your problem diagnosed with the fuel leak - what did you do to fix the float on the top carb?
      Your 86 70hp I believe has the oil reservoir under the cowling with no remote tank. Same set-up I had on an old 90 Merc. Your Yammie should have some kind of warning system built into it to let you know if the oil pump is starving for oil or otherwise not doing it's job. I can only recommend that you not mix different kinds of oil, for this can lead to the formation of sludge/gel in the bottom of the oil reservoir, and that will restrict the flow of oil to the pump.
      I would also recommend that you purchase a factory shop manual specifically for your motor. That will answer a lot of your questions on maintenance.
      Good luck,
      Ken K
      Beaumont, TX

Comment

Ken,
        I cleaned out the needle and seat and just bent the tab on the float just a hair. Then did what you should not try at home but blew through the inlet to make sure it was seating. I don't have any alarms hooked up. I see all the sensors but when I bought the motor all it had was the key switch with the choke and kill. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
        X