1998 250hp turns over will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 250hp turns over will not start

Spent the day fishing with my pair of 1998 250hps. They ran excellent ....no problems. The next morning the right motor started and ran like normal, the left motor turns over like normal but will not start. Not even a miss fire or skip in the beat. Just a spining a starter. Could this be a STATER problem. Since the Stater is extremely expensive ($500+) I don't want to buy one unless the Stater is the problem. I did have a similar problem about 5 years ago and once we replaced the Stater it was business as normal. Is there a test that I can try to see if the Stater is the problem. Note the fuel tanks are full and the Right engine runs off the same tanks.

did u check for spark?
    spinning as fast as the other motor?

Comment

jb123

Yes---we did check for spark. None! We also checked every wire and connection to make sure nothing was loose, dirty or missing. We also check every fuse. Same results right engines starts and rune. Left engine turns over like normal but will not start.

Comment

did you check your emergency cut-off swith on the control box?..sounds like the motor is just in the "off" mode. If your motor is turning over good then the starter sounds like it's fine. something electrical killing your spark.

Comment

I had same type problem couple of years ago on twin 86 115,s. Turned out to be bad ground wire coming out of CDI box. I spent hours swapping out parts, he spent 5 minutes run new wire fixed no spark problem. Maybe this will help.

Comment

Check and double checked everything. Stater can up zero on the test bench. I have ordered a new stater.

Comment

Working...
            X