2006 F40 noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F40 noise

I have a 2006 F40 fourstroke tiller with 90 hours. Last week it started making a squeeling noise like a dry bearing when I start it cold and try to rev it a little. If I shut it off and restart it, the noise may go away, or it may take 2 0r 3 times turning it off and on for the noise to stop. It sounds like it is in the mid section. It sounds like a dry drive shaft upper bearing or maybe a water pump? The lower unit is full and the oil is clean. The noise goes away for the rest of the day after it stops. Has anyone had this problem?

Try removing lower unit and apply grease to drive shaft splines and seal area just below splines to see if noise goes away.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. I am going to put a new water pump impeller in it and I'll grease the splines then. I never would have thought of that because I have always greased the splines when I put a lower unit on and assumed the factory would have done so too. It sure sounds like where the noise is coming from.

Comment

I pulled the lower unit today and found the source of the noise. There is a nylon bushing in the middle of the center section and the drive shaft goes right through it. The shaft was very shiny where it rides in the bushing. I sanded the surface rust off the rest of the shaft and greased the splines and the whole shaft with a liitle extra on the shiny spot. Noise gone.

Comment

Working...
        X