New Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Problem

I have a 1987 Yamaha 200 and when I went out today it was great. But touwards the end of the day I lost reverse. So I thought it was a cable adjustment. Well its not the boat is stuck in forward and has no nutral or reverse. I tokk the cable completly off and tryed to engage reverse under the cowl and it still wont come out of forward. PLEASE HELP

I just read somewhere that the older engines used a steel shaft that breaks on the 80's models.

Comment

Thanks Im pulling the boat in the morning. I guess I will look for that

Comment

you should be able to see a small section of shift shaft above cavitation plate.... look for rust as '94 and prior non stainless was used, if this is the case your block need to be pulled off and not always a fun job.

Comment

When I pulled thwe outdrive guess what fell out? The bottom part of the shift shaft and most of it was gone. Very rusty so now im trying to pull the powerhead thats the only way I can see that I can get the rest out and replace it

Comment

Any tricks to getting the power head off? I broke 4 screws soked everthing and I still can't get it off

Comment

Those broke bolts are going to make extremly difficult to get powerhead off. Start by calling your dealer and ask for a price for them to remove with 4 broken bolts. Usually have to cut broke bolts into by drilling hole through housing and drilling through bolt.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I drilled threw the bolts and basicly cut them in half it looks like repower time

Comment

if you got thru them then the powerhead can be pulled, most likely need to soak more tho.

if you have a puller the weight of the backend of boat/motor should help seperate, may also have to use heat on midsection around broken bolts.
                  Last edited by jb123; 06-02-2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X