85 Hp Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 Hp Yamaha

1996 What a wonderful and dependable motor.

But after all this time I have an issue I need help with.

I was towing a couple of riders on a tube throughout the day, and everything was working fine, same old dependable run. Almost back to ramp in 3/4 throttle and the motor acted as though it was knocted out of gear.

Motor works fine in both forward and reverse at low speeds (almost idle). Able to trailer boat with no problems. Tested several times before trailering, if you increase throttle the motor doesn's miss or anything, there is not thrust. I have turned the propellor and it turns with the shaft. I put in gear (motor off). In forward in will turn easily in one direction, and in the other direct it is under compression. In reverse it is under compression in both directions.

I was told by a friend that I had spun the prop. And to test like above. I removed the prop, and can turn the shaft the same way. Please help. I am a mechanic, just not on boats yet!

The easiest way to check is to scribe a line across the prop thrust washer(the one with splines) and hub of prop. Take boat out run it and then check line on prop is still lined up, if misaligned hub is slipping.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X