not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not charging

i recently had both engines mounting brackets replaced due to cracking on my 2008 150 outboards they have 150hrs on them
    after the repair which required lower unit and power head removal every thing seemed fine for the first 3 days of the trip then we were 70 miles off shore on the 4th day and the engines(2) would not start heard a click but would not turn over gauges indicated batteries at the lowest level
    we had a generator on board and hooked up to shore power batteries then had enough to start engines. from then on had minimal voltage on both batteries to start engines and when running at idle the meter moved to the middle of the indicator gauge but with each start up battery gauge indicated the lowest mark on the gage but was enough to start the engines
    no prior problems before the repairs
    it seems that after several days of stopping and starting we discharged the batteries and they did not recover
    what did they do wrong for both engines not to charge the start batteries
    motors ?
    motors are under warrenty but we live in alaska and the boat is in port and is painful to haul back to town for extended service
    i am going back with voltmeter tomorrow to trouble shoot where should i start looking?
    what are the chances that both regulators are shot at the same time
    what could be unhooked on the engines to not allow charging?
    thanks for your suggestions

Look for wires not connected, check battery cable connections are clean and tight, check all grounds on engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X