Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Bearing Housing in 1993 25ESHR

It just keeps getting better!

It started off as a simple impeller failure. I dropped the lower unit easily. One of the four bolts holding the water pump housing broke off with very little force. This gave me the chance to use last year's Father's Day gift, a fancy bolt extractor kit. Would you believe (also with very little force) the extractor tip broke off in the bolt. So now I have tool steel to try and extract. I went to a Tap & Tool extractor who pointed out I may be able to simply remove the bearing housing and expose the top of the broken bolt. This also seemed simple enough. Back at home, I was easing the bearing housing up using screw drivers and the pry tabs when the housing snapped. (It was still holding onto that broken bolt). Ultimately, I was able to remove the housing, but it broke off as a 1/2" thick plate. Imagine my surprize to see the replacement part extending nearly 2" down into the lower unit housing wrapped around the bushing. Vice grips got the broken bolt out. But now I'm at a loss for pulling the rest of the bearing housing along with the bushng. Since the lower unit case surrounds the housing like a "C", I can get to the side of it to pry or pull from underneth. But before I go wrenching on this with some sort of gear puller, I thought maybe I should check in with some experts. (FWIW, I did find my SELOC manual tonight, but it does not offer much for my current situation.) Thanks in Advance for any help you may offer.

May end up having to take drive loose and use drive shaft to pul out broken piece. If you can get any kind of a pull on broke piece heat housing with a heat gun and may be able to get out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X