Battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery question

I have a new 150 4 stroke Yamaha. I have two 1000 cranking amp Interstate heavy duty batteries. When I wade fish and run my baitwell on battery one of and on for all day, by the afternoon battery 1 will barley start the motor. They are new batteries. What about mixing the cranking batteries and using a big deep cycle for the accessory battery 1 and a cranking battery for battery 2. Is this a problem for the charging system. My mechanic says don't switch to battery 1, always try to keep engine on 1 and 2 so you don't run down one battery?????? This makes me nervous at the end of the day with limited engine charging time????

cwatts1946

That engine has a built in battery isolator in regulator, if you get the isolator lead(part number MAR-69JIS-0L-ED) and connect it a house battery you will be able to charge a house battery and starting battery at same time without the engine drawing current from house battery.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can you Mix batteries for a 150

Can you mix AGM deep cycle and a lead acid cranking battery for two battery operation with a switch for a new Yamaha 150 4 stroke charging system

CW

Comment

I recenlty looked into this and was told that chargers should be indifferent to AGM versus traditional batteries.

I too have the same issue you are dealing with. Adding the house charging cable will only help if you run the motor enough to charge the battery. If you are drift fishing with the motor off, then start and do a quick run to re-set your drift position, the motor may not be running long enough to keep up with the drain. In other words you may be using say 5% of battery power to start and run electronics, but you are only charging back up say 2-3%. Over the course of a day, this becomes a problem. I did swith to two large deep cycle batteries - they are large enough to start the engines. The downside is that a deep cycle will take longer than charging a starter battery. However unless I keep the motor running for some time I still have the same problem.

Comment

Working...
        X