Repowering, need new tach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repowering, need new tach.

I'm repowering from a 2001 OX66 200 to an 09 225 Sport. I'd like to keep the fuel/speed gauge, as the fuel level is already plumbed and wired to my tank, and speedo....meh, I go off GPS for speed.

But for the tach, I'd like to upgrade. I want to make sure I've got all the alarms I need, and I like the hour meter function, which my tach doesn't have. Now, which tach do I need? The Yamaha brochure lists P/N 6Y5-8350T-82 as their current offering, but I see on ebay and other places P/N 6Y5-8350T-90 listed for use with post-05 motors and the -82 to be used on pre-04 motors. I even emailed the ebay seller and asked him and he said the Yamaha catalog is wrong and he is right. And the others I ask are only "kinda" sure and not entirely. So before I drop the $$$, which tach do I need for sure?

So what's the difference? Which one will I need for my new 225 Sport?

The -90 tach is for the 2006 and newer engines but need to replace wire harness as well. I would recommend using yhe Tach rig kit part number 6YR-W0035-E2-00. It comes with -90 tach and all wiring needed. Click on link for price,
    6YR-W0035-E2-00 Multifunction Tach Kit
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. So the tach kit you linked....that's everything I'll need.....that's tach and harness? Or the rig kit is the harness, and I still need the tach? Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I break out the $$$$.

Comment

That kit includes tach, trim/oil harness and guage harness. Set dip switch in tach for 2 wire trim sender, 12 pole alternator and 2 stroke engine.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks again. It's going on a 225 Sport....four stroke. Install pretty straightforward? Plug in, run the harnesses to the motor, done deal?

Comment

I bought the kit for my 2005 Yamaha FS. I having a hard time finding the connector at the motor end to plug it in to.

Comment

I read your post in your thread. I'm far from an expert and have never had a Yamaha four stroke (mine's being installed next week) but on my OX66 all the wiring, and the 10-pin connector he mentioned sits in a bundle down along the RH side of the pan. I'd look there.

Comment

Don't have any good illustrations, this is all I have
                F250Trim-oilConnection.JPG
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X