Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help

I am pretty new at the motor language and really dont know what I am talking about to a certain extent. I know the basics but with this oil injected engine I know very little. I recently purchased a used yamaha 40 HEO and when I went to purchase it the guy started it up and it ran fine in a trash can of water. It shifted perfectly and ran fine. Then I put it on my boat and took it out. At first it seemed like nothing was wrong. Started it up with ease and reversed it out. got passed no wake zone and uped the trottle and it started to go for a while and it didnt seem like it wanted to get to full speed. then after about a minute of that it died. Then i couldnt even get it to idle. Took the housing off and found that the adjusting screws to the gears wouldnt stay tight. so I tried to find the correct adjustment and I couldnt. I took it out of the water and hooked it up to a hose and it adjusted it a little bit more and got it to idle. So I put it back in the water and it started up quickly but when I put it in reverse it just died. I opened it back up again and found that one of the plastic stoppers on the end of the bolt was missing so i went and bought one of those hopping it would extend that bolt out a little more giving the reverse bolt a little more room. It seemed to help a little giving the motor a little bit more rpms at idle. But it still dies when I put it in reverse.

Is there anyone out there that can help me trouble shoot this.
    It seems that it runs better out of the water
    I think that it is something simple but dont know what it is.

I will take any advice

Thanks for your time.

My experience with used engines that function like this is that they need a good carb cleaning. They run great on the hose because there is no load on the engine. When you put them in the water, the fuel demand goes way up but the clogged carbs won't let enough fuel into the engine. I would check the fuel filter, and look at the carbs. If you see any varnish then it's time to clean them.

Comment

thank you

I will try that thank you

Comment

Working...
      X