Tilt/Trim Problem on T8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt/Trim Problem on T8

My 2004 T8 only tilts down halfway. It was fine last season. The fluid level was OK, but I lost some while checking and running the tilt switch.

Can I do anything about this?

What fluid should I top up with?

Thanks, Larry

Yamaha Power trim fluid, if unable to get you can use Dextron II ATF.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Tilt?Trim Problem on T8

Thanks for the fluid info.

Any thoughts on the tilt problem? Does this small unit have a relay switch?
      If yes is it located on the motor or control?

Thanks for any help. LarryC

Comment

Yes it does have a trim relay, number 25 in this diagram Yamaha Outboard Parts 2004 T8PLHC ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram
        If the electric motor quits running then check switch, relay and trim motor.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for the link to the relay assembly.

The motor only trims half way down, so if I reverse the leads, is it then possible it will go from half way down to all the way down (but only tilt half way up)?

Comment

I'm not sure if you have a electrical problem or a hydraulic problem.If you can hear the motor running but yet wont trim then it's not an electrical problem.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for isolating the problem, I can plainly hear the motor running in the half way position, so it is the hydraulics. Now all I have to do is take it apart!

Unless someone has specific information on how to do this (take the unit off- I think I have the actual unit disassembly diagram from this site), I'll close the thread and thanks everyone who helped me with this problem.
              Larry

Comment

T8 Trim Problem

Follow up:

When I returned to this problem, I decided to top up the power trim fluid, since I had lost some when I checked it. So I topped it, and ran the tilt down (only part way, that was the problem) and the back up again, but only part way up.

When I then cracked the bleed screw, an emulsion of fluid and air bled out. I closed it and the found the motor went through the complete up and down sequence -although somewhat slowly and noisily. A couple more cycles and toppings bled out the trapped air, and the trim began to operate normally.

Since the trim fluid was right at the screw level when I first checked it,it was not a top up issue initially. I think checking the fluid level and losing some, allowed an emulsion to occur that must have bubbled through some passage and dislodged a bit of dirt that was blocking fluid passage and stopping the trim half way down.

Hope this helps someone else. The info I got from members here helped me luck into this fix. LarryC

Comment

Working...
                X