1987 200hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 200hp

I need help I just bought the boat and the motor runs good except for two problems. 1 It will not start without either the first time. Once it starts it will start all day and run great. 2 it coughs and sputters at a idle. sometime stalls the idle is set at about 800-850 it also smells like its running rich. One more thing if its sits for a week trimmed out of the water oil is in the cowl is that normal?

Hard to start and coughing usually means low speed circuit in carbs are plugged, need to remove and clean carbs.
    The engine oil tank has a vent hose that connects to air silencer thats bolted to front of carbs, The hose may not be connected and leaking oil into pan.
    If it still has the original oil pump(Keihin) on it, then it needs to replaced(new one is a Mekuni)
    Last edited by boats.net; 05-18-2009, 02:05 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

What is so bad about the Keihin pump? I've got them on my 1989s and seem to have no issues.

Comment

The check valves inside oil pump don't hold, when tilted up oil will leak out of oil lines into intake manifold. When engine starts up it will smoke a lot but the big problem is that the oil lines have drained down and it takes a while for oil pump to refill lines therefore engine is not getting oil.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

So far I found one idle jet clogged

Comment

Ok it idles much better no more cough but it still won't start cold. It floods itself

Comment

Any help on the cold start problem. The only way it will start is with starting fluid than it will run all day

Comment

Normally it's extremely hard to flood a Yamaha engine but if it is then check the float heights in carbs, may be set too high.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

well it seems like its flooded and with a squirt of starting fluid it fires right up. If I choke it it still won't start. also seems to run rich

Comment

If you have to use some form of starting fluid then it's not choking, check elect choke and choke plates to see if closing all the way
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

They are closing and the manule choke works also

Comment

You should be able to pull manual choke out, give a little throttle and crank over till starts up. If not check for air leaks in intake manifold, reed valves, leaking crankshaft seals or dirty carbs.
                        Regards
                        Boats.net
                        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

OK Thanks.......

Comment

I had a mechanic (merc. guy) look at it and he said everything looked good and then started to blame it on the ethenol in the fuel. Dose that sound right? I put the blue stuff thats supposed to help it in but nothing has ever changed

Comment

Working...
                            X