1992 130hp Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 130hp Help!

OK, this boat has sat for about 8 months, so I took off both dual carbs, cleaned them, replaced gaskets, and it fired right up, with little work on the idle screws.

I blasted all over Lake Houston for about an hour, and was rocking along at 4500 RPM, when the motor sounded like it came out of gear - revving slightly, with loss of power. I was in about 25 feet of water, and am positive I did not hit anything.

I took it out of gear, turned off the motor, tilted the motor up, and tried turning the prop. With key off, forward engaged, I could turn the motor over with effort, feeling the compression. Tried in reverse, same thing.

With motor running, I could engage forward, and prop turns at idle speed, but when I apply throttle, only revs engine, with no additional prop speed. Same goes for reverse. I sheepishly idled back to the dock, people I had blown by snickering...

I've already printed off the blow-up of the lower end, but before I start digging, has anyone got a clue what has happened?

................blown hub

Comment

OK, can you clarify what a blown hub is / location / and remedy?

I woke up this morning thinking that maybe something on the shaft/prop connection is causing slippage at high rpms, but allows for low speed rotation - any thoughts?

Comment

OK, so I took off the prop, and noticed that there is a cavity between the prop spline and the prop itself. This appears to be filled with "melted rubber" that is very soft, and shows recent flowing, like lava. It actually may have been vulcanized rubber that has now lost its "hardness". Is this some type of buffer/shock absorber, that protects the drivetrain/gears, and somehow shears/melts when overloaded? Am I looking at the "hub" that is "blown"? I can visualize that this rubber allows for enough friction to turn the prop at low speeds, but "break loose" when more torque is applied, allowing the shaft to spin inside the propeller.

Comment

yes it needs to be taken to a prop shop and be rehubbed... new rubber insert.

Comment

You were spot-on.
            Thanks.

I pressed the old hub out, and just the sleeve came out, so I cut out the rest of the rubber (some of it came out crumbly with the sleeve). Can I just clean out the prop, and press a new hub in? Anything special I would need to know?
            Not the I don't want to visit the prop shop, but I'd like to save money when I can, and I want to get back in the water quickly.

Last question: Why did this happen? The prop is a 13 x 23 K. Is it designed for quick power, and I was using it for high speed? Or does the rubber hub just get brittle with age, and when I fixed the carbs, the power just wiped it out?

Comment

It sounds like you hit something

Comment

Working...
              X