3200rmps WOT on 50 TLR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3200rmps WOT on 50 TLR?

I have a brand new 2009 Yamaha 50 TLR on a 20-foot Sweetwater pontoon boat. Yamaha, fortunately, has a performance bulletin for my almost identical rig, showing 5500rpm WOT. However, I'm only getting 3200. I've played with trim a bit, with no luck, so I suspect it's a prop mismatch (though, this is supposed to be a "performance-matched" package by the boat manufacturer, Godfrey Marine). I know that Yamaha's bulletin spec'd a 12-1/4 x 9 prop, so when I'm up at the lake on Monday, I'll read my prop, of course.

With all that said, beyond a mismatched prop, are there any other possible causes why I would only be getting 3200rpms at WOT? Thank you very much

The tach setting may not be set correctly, the 50TLR requires a 6 pole setting on tach.
    Last edited by boats.net; 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

My boat does have a Faria tach, not Yamaha. When you note a "6-pole setting," what does that refer to? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Comment

The prop you specify is what I have on a similar boat and the RPM's are maxed at about 5000-5500.

There are " dip " switches on the rear of the tack. You can switch between them as see what happens if your prop is correct.

the dealer should have set that at delivery.

Comment

On a Faria gauge set the setting to number 2 for a 6 pole alternator.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I wish to thank you guys very much -- you saved me a lot of frustration and a trip to the dealer. My gauge's dial was set to 5, and when I switched it to 2, I was at 5500 WOT, fully trimmed, with the boat dead-on the specs in Yamaha's performance bulletin. Your advice hit at the exact issue. Again, I really appreciate your help. And, I'm really enjoying my Yamaha 50 TLR.

Comment

Way to go! We sell a lot of Sweetwater with 50TLR and have to reset tach on all of them when boat is preped.
              Last edited by boats.net; 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Looking For Info On Prop Size( #splines, Hub Size Etc) On A 2004 Yamaha 50tlr. Prop Needs Work But Looking For Replacement On Ebay Or ?, But Like To Know What To Look For. Do I Need The Hub Dia. Or What Else.help New To Yammis

Comment

Working...
                X