2004 200HP HPDI Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 200HP HPDI Won't Start

I took the cover off the boat on Sunday. I put in new spark plugs, hooked up the ear muffs and hose and she started right up. I then trailered the boat to the ramp and she started again. She backed off the trailer with little power, started running really rough and then died.

The bowl in the filter was filthy. I cleaned that out. I reinstalled the old spark plugs and connected fresh tank of gas to the filter input. No go.

I never check the gaps on spark plugs and I never have problems. Could this be a problem? This is why I reverted to the old spark plugs, was to eliminate this as being the cause.

The kill switch is properly connected.

I have ordered a new fuel filter and a new VST filter. These will arrive soon and may do the trick.

I read that people clean their filters with solvent. I am going the route of new filters, but for future reference, what solvent should be used?

I have searched the parts drawings and can't find where the O2 Sensor is to inspect that. Please help.

I can't find a service manual for the 2004 HPDI motors. Are they no longer available?

One other thing is that when the engine cranks, it sounds as if there isn't much compression. I have nothing to compare it to because the engine always started up so quickly in the past that this may be the normal sound of this particular engine cranking.

I am also still under warranty, but I don't think that dirty fuel filters are covered so I am going to try to resolve this myself first. Correct?

you check for spark ?
    in neutral?
    kill switch clip on ?

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
      you check for spark ?
      in neutral?
      kill switch clip on ?
      spark - I will double check. It was running and then poof, putt putt ....dead.
      neutral - yes
      kill switch clip - yes (see original post)

Comment

Working...
      X