Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115TLRS (1994) Fuses blowing

Symptoms:
    1) I have noticed abnormally high voltages on my multifunction display (16v +) the last few outings.
    2) Last weekend, I was about 5 mi. due east out of Jupiter inlet and just about ready to pull back and wet a line when the motor suddenly dropped to 1800 RPM and ran rougher than a cob. Turns out, all 3 oil level alarms were blinking on the tach display. I suspect it went into a governed safety mode. Also, the speed display shut off. When I pulled the throttle back, it smoothed right out There was plenty of oil in the reservoir, plenty in the secondary (motor) tank, and the emergency switch pumped oil from the big tank into the little tank,
    3) My next move (not my smartest) was to shut the motor down, thinking I might reset the alarms. Oops. Now, I've got nothing. No display, no cranking, no tilt/trim. Nada. GPS reported 12.6v supply. With two 8-year-old hopeful fishkillers on board, I started getting a bit jumpy, as I'm sure you can imagine. I started tracing power and discovered 2 fuses on the port side of the motor, towards the front. A visual inspection (no meter) showed good fuses, so I continued with no luck. I went back and bypassed one of the fuses. Voila! Power returned. Yamaha had thoughtfully supplied a spare fuse, so I plugged it in. All was well.
    4) After a few minutes of *****ing, the symptoms returned. At this point, I had had enough, so I headed back in at 5 kt. This time, I ran with the cowling off and the fuse leads twisted together. It still had the oil alarms and had an 1800 RPM limit until about 2 mi. from the inlet, when everything cleared up in a jiffy and I ran fine all the way back to the ramp. The safety mode shut off, but I still had a dead speed display and all three oil lights blinking on the tach.

I've spent a couple of evenings since then researching various forums, and the best I can find is that maybe I have a blown rectifier/regulator. My questions for the forum are: Do these symptoms support a blown/weak/bad rectifier/regulator, and if so, how do I determine that it is for sure bad? If I'm barking up the wrong tree, what else should I be looking at? Did I burn out the low oil governor by running it for so long?

I'd really rather not spend several hundred dollars swapping parts that don't fix the root cause of my problem. I especially don't want to have this happen again 5 miles offshore!

By the way...We coolered one nice gaffer dolphin, and released a big (10 lb. bonito) The boys were ecstatic.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

Usually the fuse is loose inside fuse holder, can bend the 4 tabs where fuse contacts fuse holder to make a tighter fit. Check fuse holder contacts for corrosion, may need to replace fuse holder. Engines with the grey and black inline fuse holder would go into safe mode, all three oil lights flashed if voltage drops on fuses.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X