OX66 Oil Injection Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX66 Oil Injection Problem

Hello, I am hoping someone can lend some assistance.

Last year I purchased a 2000 150 hp OX66. After servicing it ran flawlessly for 3/4 of the season. One day the engine warning buzzer sounded and the power was cut back to safe mode. Found that the engine mounted oil reservoir was low with plenty of oil in the remote tank. Used the emergency button on the back of the engine to fill the reservoir which worked perfectly. As the season end was approaching this became a daily occurrence. Before I would leave the dock I would remove the cowling and manually, using the e-switch, fill the reservoir.

Before launching this season I wanted to troubleshoot and correct the problem. I believe the problem may be with my ECM but I am entering into unfamiliar territory and need some assistance. I do not want to replace the ECM$$$$$$$ if I don’t have to.

All tests have been conducted with the engine not running. Using my seloc manual and postings from this website I first tested the 3-pos float switch on the engine mounted tank. The switch functions normally. As mentioned the e-switch will force the pump on, quickly filling the reservoir. To me this indicates the pump and wiring to the pump are OK? Next, I tried to manually force the pump on by disconnecting the 3-pos float switch and grounding the blue/green lead of the engine harness. Nothing.

With the 3-pos float switch harness unplugged I noticed that upon keying the ignition from the off to on the ECM first cycles the high pressure fuel pump and then turns on the remote oil pump which then stays on until you either shut the key off or ground the blue/white lead of the engine harness. Is this normal? It does not cycle the oil pump if you repeat the process with the 3-pos harness plugged back in.

Finally I disconnected the ECM harness connector carrying the sensor signals to check for shorts of crossed wires. Everything tested perfectly.

Thoughts?

Check the oil level sensor and wiring on oil tank in boat.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

is trim gauge working correctly ?

Comment

Yes I believe the trim gauge is working properly. At least the gauge it self registers the correct position. I did not check any wiring to the ECM. Is it safe to assume if the trim is correct than everything is working properly?

I still need to check out the oil level sensor & wiring as Boats.net suggested.

Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

The problem seems to be resolved.

Tonight I checked the the remote tank float as suggested and it tested OK but had some slight corrosion on one of the pins. Next I traced the wiring back to the ECM checking each connection along the way. Everything passed testing. Reconnected everything and fired the motor with 3-pos sensor remove from the reservoir so I could manually position the float. Had no problem starting and stoping the flow of oil.

I must have had a bad electrical connection. If it happens again I will know right where to check.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X