X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 'Tell Tail' on CV85

Hi

I noticed on my last two trips that the 'Tell Tail
    ' looked weak. Then on my last trip when back at the boat ramp there was no 'tell tail'. Is the problem the water pump? I have removed the pipe from the tell tail and it is clear. Is the alarm on the engine if the engine is overheating? Is the job of replacing the water pump impeller difficult.

Thanks for replies.

Nick

It sounds like it is time to replace water pump. with a service manual, it's not to bad of a job.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Nick,
      The water pump could be getting weak, but above idle there should be a little bit of a water stream coming from the side discharge. I'm not familiar with a "CV85" but assume it is a three cylinder Yamaha. There should be a thermal switch mounted in the motor head to signal an overheat condition.
      Bottom line, if it has been at least three years since last water pump repair, go ahead and put in a kit. You need to check the corrosion on the lower unit bolts anyway - be sure and put a quality thread sealer on the threads when reinstall. Also check splines on drive shaft - clean and apply water resistant grease. Buy a Yamaha service manual and kit from boats.net - that's what I did, and I have been happy with their service.
      Good luck,
      Ken K
      Beaumont, TX

Comment

Hi Ken

Thanks for the reply!

When you say the side discarge, are meaning the tell tail?

The CV 85 is a 3 cylinder model thats been released in australia for the fish farm mark. Generally I have been told that they are bulletproof!

Ceers for now

Nick

Comment

Hi Ken

Thanks for the reply!

When you say the side discarge, are meaning the tell tail?

The CV 85 is a 3 cylinder model thats been released in australia for the fish farm mark. Generally I have been told that they are bulletproof!

Ceers for now

Nick

Comment

Nick,
            Yeah, I call it "side-discharge" or "pee-stream". It's just a visual indication that the water pump is doing it's job.
            Australia, huh? Is that where you are?
            Ken K
            Beaumont, TX

Comment

Thanks Ken

Yep Australia, Tasmania to be precice (the Island at the Bottom) a beautiful place surrounded by water.

Just to let you know I removed the lower leg, stripped the water pump to find that the lower housing was very corroded, to the point where there was a gap between the suction and pressure side of the housing. I have replaced all need components and the problem is solved. So thanks again.

Cheers for Now

Nick.

Comment

Thanks Ken

Yep Australia, Tasmania to be precice (the Island at the Bottom) a beautiful place surrounded by water.

Just to let you know I removed the lower leg, stripped the water pump to find that the lower housing was very corroded, to the point where there was a gap between the suction and pressure side of the housing. I have replaced all need components and the problem is solved. So thanks again.

Cheers for Now

Nick.

Comment

Working...
                X