Water Pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Replacement

2006 Yamaha 15 HP, 4-Stroke (EL). This will be my first attempt at replacing the water pump. I have purchased the factory Yamaha Service Manual, as well as the complete water pump replacement kit.

The diagrams appear pretty straight forward with regards to the pump itself. However, there is little written with regards to removing the lower unit and replacing it properly.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but can find no references in the manual, with regards to returning to the original shift linkage adjustment, once I disconnect it. Also, no where in the manual is the procedure(s) outlined with regards to either removing and/or replacing the lower unit properly. I would sincerely appreciate any/all help/suggestions you may have to offer me. Thank you all!

Remove the four bolts from lower unit and loosen the lock nut on shift shaft then unscrew the large nut on shift shaft until shaft separates.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks! That's exactly what I did and it went very well. People here were telling me what kind horror stories they encountered in changing the water pump. Now I can smile. Saved myself about $100. too!

Comment

Follow-up question...

After I tested the engine in a tank, I noticed something that I had never noticed before. I'm getting a water flow discharge in two places, other than the normal water exhaust out of the top.

This is occurring out of 2 holes in the front of the fin above the cavitation plate, and also out of 2 holes in the back of this upper fin. The first 2 holes shoot out directly forward; the last two are directed downward. Both sets of holes are equally spaced from one another, which makes me think that this is normal.

This may have been happening right along, but I never noticed it before? I want to make sure I didn't do something wrong when installing this water pump! Thanks for any input.

Comment

Same Question

Hi

I have the same question.

I am getting a good amount of water out of the 2 holes in the front of the lower unit of my 2000 15 hp Yamaha after replacing the water pump. I hope it is normal.

I have good pressure out of the pee hole in the back with both the hose and in a barrel.

Harry

Comment

Water

I am no mechanic, but on my 2004 40hp I have like four holes on the lower unit which spray water while on the ears. Knock on wood, havent had any problems.

Comment

I stopped by my marina today and asked the head mechanic this same question. He chuckled and said not to worry! Water will come out all over the place on the lower unit. Especiall the vent holes, both front & back. And he said the over flow, from where you make your shift lever adjustments, will flow water as well. As long as you have water coming out of the upper exhaust - where it suppose to, you're ****en. He said this particular engine is very easy to work on and is as bullet-proof as they come! Not sure how much I believe that, but it was nice hearing!

Went to a local pond today after talking to him - for the first season work out. Everything performed flawlessly. My top end was 23 mph on my GPS and speedometer. Just one person on board however. I'm very pleased and can't wait to get in some serious fishing now!

Comment

Working...
              X