transmission problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission problem

I was motoring my sailboat today with it's 9.9 hp yamaha outboard (10 yrs old, 150 hours) and suddenly the rpms seemed to increase(higher pitch) and I experienced a dramatic loss of power. The prop was turning but the wake was more bubbles than anything else. The water stream out of the engine remained strong. It acted like a car acts with a blown clutch. That is, the faster you try to go the more it spins and the slower you go. I'm in San Jose del Cabo, MX. Any advice would be appreciated.

Check your prop. Maybe the rubber has let go.

Comment

Yep... Sounds like you've "spun the hub" on the prop.

Many places can rebuild it, or you can get a new one.

It's always a good idea to have a spare prop on board for situations like this.

That's my two cents but most people tell me that it isn't worth one!

Comment

transmission problem

I guess when prop got tangled in one of the dock lines the day before it started the problem. I learned of it when I put the boat in gear and it stalled. Then I restarted it and put it in reverse and it stalled....then I checked the prop and saw the problem. It was the next trip out with the boat that I lost power. Is it a big job to take it off and rebuild it?

Comment

No. It's a simple task to remove it. You wont be able to rebuild it yourself.

Comment

Working...
          X