250 OX66 Driveshaft Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 OX66 Driveshaft Seal

I replaced my water pump impeller today on my 2001 250hp OX66. After removing the water pump I noticed the seal on the gear box housing looked like it needed to be replaced. No water in the gearcase but I like to be proactive.

I removed the 4 bolts holding the seal housing but had trouble removing it. I was able to spin it about 45 degrees but it didn't feel right. After checking the manual it said NOT to remove the seal housing w/o completely pulling the driveshaft.

I ended up pulling the 1st of the 2 seals out with a needle nose pliers and replaced it w/o removing the seal housing. Althought he second seal looked great, I still wish I could pull the seal housing off and replace both seals and the o-rings that I think are down in there.

My question, can I pull the seal housing and slide it up the driveshaft or do I have to completely pull the shaft & prop shaft, etc like I think my manual is explaining? I have no desire to completely tear down the entire gearcase.

Also, did I do any damage to the o-ring when I rotated the driveshaft housing 45 degrees?

Thanks in advance for the help.

You can remove it with a couple of pry bars, the oring would need to be replaced.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I think I am going to take the lower unit in to my local mechanic. How much shop time is reasonable to replace both driveshaft seals and o-ring as well as the prop shaft seals? Keep in mind, I have the lower unit off the boat and the water pump removed. I just need the seals replaced but don't want to be overcharged.

Comment

Originally posted by skidoc View Post
        I think I am going to take the lower unit in to my local mechanic. How much shop time is reasonable to replace both driveshaft seals and o-ring as well as the prop shaft seals? Keep in mind, I have the lower unit off the boat and the water pump removed. I just need the seals replaced but don't want to be overcharged.
        3hrs give him or her all the parts put it togather pressure test and vaccume test salt water lower unit all the build up needs to be cleaned

Comment

Working...
        X