200 hp Trim/Tilt Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 hp Trim/Tilt Problem

Just bought Mako with 1985 Yamah 200. Boat has sat a lot last 5 years in dry storage. MY trim works fine up and down, but the tilt will not lift without my arm lifting on lower unit. Down tilt seems ok. I have verified that the trim oil is full , color is good and lowered and raised the motor manually. No change in original symptoms. I do have some additional observations.

1. When in manual tilt mode, I cannot raise the motor manually, I placed a floor jack under lower unit, started jacking and boat was raising off trailer. It goes down fine in manual mode. The only way I could raise was to turn manual screw back to motor tilt position, press UP switch and lift lower unit with free arm (this is the original problem).
    2. Tilt lowering works fine, though when starting from fully tilted up position and I press DOWN switch, the left trim piston fully retracts, then the right one and only then does the tilt start down.
    3. The motor runs slightly faster for down than up in tilt mode. No noticeable difference in trim.
    4. Trim seems to work fine.
    5. No fluid leak or air bubble sounds under any of the above conditions.

Any suggestions?

The bushings on tilt tube may be corroded or froze up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, I'll see if I can remove and examine next weekend.

Comment

Top pin is severely corroded and what I can see of bushing is cracked badly. My top pin on tilt cylinder is so corroded, I will have to heat and hammer it out. So as to know which side to hammer on, which side is/was the snap ring on? Where can I find bushings and top pin replacements?

Comment

Originally posted by divert00 View Post
          Top pin is severely corroded and what I can see of bushing is cracked badly. My top pin on tilt cylinder is so corroded, I will have to heat and hammer it out. So as to know which side to hammer on, which side is/was the snap ring on? Where can I find bushings and top pin replacements?
          My manual which covers 1984 to 1989 and up to 225 HP says, Remove the snap ring at EACH end of the tilt system upper shaft.

Comment

Trying to remove top pin to replace bushing. It is frozen on both ends in to a solid mass: looks like snap rings have rusted to become one with top pin. I have pounded, heated with propane torch and repetaed .Now considering drilling out (that will be a long, tough job). Does not get red hot with propane, considering acetylene but a little wary of melting aluminum-based housing. Any thoughts would be appreciated..

On another note, I could not pump grease in to the 2 front nipples on the bar at the axis of tilt (steering arm runs through this). Removed grease nipples to clean old, hard grease and stripped one of he female holes when re-inserting(&^#@@&$#@). I hope I can get a larger diameter grease nipple at auto store and re-tap hole. Any thoughts on this mess?

Comment

Working...
            X